Thursday, February 24, 2011

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald


Danny holding model of the Fitzgerald

This model was built by the presentor to a 1/16th scale
The ship was 727 feet long and rode 27 feet under the water

2 shots of ship ;top is riding loaded, bottom riding empty


he shared several theories with us about what caused the sinking, this is a diagram of the sister wave
 Danny and I went to another program through Livingston Reads- this one on the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. It was fantastic. The man who gave the talk is an ex-Army and coast guard, who grew up at his grandparents cottage on Lake Huron. He had a passion for learning about this wreck and researched for seven years. He spoke with the help of an overhead projector with transparencies and a huge cassette boombox to play the Gordon Lightfoot song. When I saw that I thought I was in for a boring presentation...was I wrong! This man had so much passion for his subject, and as a former educator he had no problem keeping our attention ..for 2 hours! Danny and I got home at 9:40, but wow, what a neat way to spend the evening!
argh! can't turn my photos!!

No comments:

Post a Comment