Monday, June 27, 2011

Friday June 24 Athens Adventure Day 4


Greek diary Friday June 24
Sleeping in on vacation is a must! So they do!  I get up and head to the Hilton in hopes of hooking up with the phone that DeVries PR wants to hook me up with(yes I am all that!). Alas, the disdainful front desk staff at the Hilton Hotel assures me that unless  I am a guest,  there would NOT be a package waiting for me(rethinking the All That J) I do manage to talk my way into the business center which is air conditions and deathly quiet, and since one of my goals was to go online, Bingo!!!  It is so lovely in there that after I track down my emergency phone guy contact number, I relax and blog,email and face book. Bliss!  I don’t miss the constant connectedness, but I feel an obligation to update all of the Molly faithful on what’s going here in Greece.  I check again on my way out of the hotel,  “no package m’am, now please excuse us” and I set off back towards the acropolis area, intent on finding a frappe and a shady café to read my book.  I arrive back at my street much quicker than I thought, and decide to head for the apartment and see what’s up with the fam.  On the steps, heading out, whom do I meet but the gang! They are heading to the market and I join them for a provisions run, which is always fun in a foreign grocery.  After a nice lunch Jerry and Danny head out to tackle some sites, and they end up at the War Museum (Danny liked taking pictures with the humongous guns, Jerry liked the French gun made by De‘Bange), the Byzantine Museum(Danny liked looking at the gold coins and the seals, Jerry liked learning about icon files and iconoclasts) . Not satisfied with that, they tackle Lykavittous Hill, also know as Lycabettus,. The peak reaches 910 feet above the city and is it’s highest hill. It can be climbed on foot by various paths , which is what the guys did. On foot it took about 30 minutes.  The hill may derive it’s name from a combo of the words “lyki” and “vaino” meaning path of light. The ancient belief was that this was the rock once destined to be the acropolis citadel accidentally dropped by the cities patron goddess Athena. Interestingly it had the most modern church that we have seen in Athens.  Great views. Hot and steep. An orthopedic doctors dream(tough on knees and ankles)  Charlotte and I chilled at the apartment, I finished my book! Then we took a little half hour stroll, visited a beautiful Byzantine church and got our favourite drinks, iced coffee and coke zero!  We also made a feta,tomato and pasta dinner, with bread and olive oil, and even had Greek music on the computer when the climbers arrived home!  An excellent day!

No comments:

Post a Comment