Thursday, November 1, 2012

Sandy clobbers my NJ

Mom would not leave Toms River; "I'm not that type of person Kerry" she said to me. Not what type, Mom, the type who goes to safety when the storm of the century is predicted to make landfall in your town?! Okay, your three kids will sit and worry, I guess we are that type of people!
Susan had to head to the hospital at 6 am, and she said the ride was great because no one was on the roads. Schools were cancelled all over the region, but the hospital is always open. She even had to take an overnight bag in case the night shift couldn't make it in. After a long day, Susan took her friend and co-worker Irene back to her house so she didn't have to commute down south to her home through the storm. No power in Parsippany while the storm raged, and the family saw and heard transformers blowing up on the power lines. On Thursday they are still without power, chilly and cooking in the microwave,powered by the generator Artie has had for a few years. School and power are both expected to be out until Monday, and Halloween was postponed for the second year in a row. Those poor kids.  Donnie and Catherine are out of power in West Orange as well, and since the NJ Path train system is decimated Donnie is unable to get to his job in NYC.  I finally heard from Mom mid morning on Wednesday and she was fine. I try not to listen as she describes hauling branches to the curb, driving around town the morning after the storm looking for an open coffee shop...because you can't tell her not to, she won't listen.
I have watched the scenes on television of my childhood playground, the town of Seaside Heights, and I can't believe it. I hope my cousins, The MacIntoshs, are okay in Seaside Park, they live right on Ocean Ave. Seeing all the families throughout the area devastated by this disaster moves me to tears and prayer.


these are the rides we went on as kids and that my kids went on...they are no more

No comments:

Post a Comment