Tuesday, April 21, 2015

High school parents meeting...say it ain't so!

Ok, when Jerry said we should have another baby after Danny was born I should have listened...My thought was, you have to stop at some point! But now that the baby is heading into highschool I am rethinking the whole thing....just a decade too late!
Jerry and I attended the parents of kids going into highschool meeting. The kids have already heard from HS students who visited their classes and talked about various classes they take and why they think they are good ones. The counselors from both MS and HS have talked to them too, and in fact, the student is the only one who can officially register for classes through his online account. So if the parents have another plan, too bad! St. John's is an IB school(international baccalaureate) so I really felt like we needed to get educated. What I found out is that years 9-10 are pre-IB, and years 11-12 are when the IB takes place. So as of right now I don't really need to worry too much. When the high school principal talked about how important it is for the students to "pick what they want so they can be happy", I made a joke ( which may or may not have been received as such!) about American parents who just want their kids to cram in as much AP and honors classes as possible and what does happiness have to do with anything?!  The American parents laughed at least! Actually, on that subject, I am really a bit relieved that we are out of the pressure cooker a bit, and I do hope that Danny enjoys his classes and learns a lot.
So above is the much refered to Wheel, which will set everyone up for success whether staying at StJ for highschool,moving on, doing Full IB or something less. So something like English 9 is broken up into skill level groups I guess. Then Danny picked two electives, and he chose German 2 and Further Maths...we actually tried to push him toward a creative art, but he held firm. There is an orchestra that meets after school that he plans to join...and the jazz band this year had a tuba in it, so he is pumped about that.
So off he'll go, with his Star Wars lunchbox ( ironic?!) and good attitude, and I will be trusting The Lord to steer him just where he needs to go! 
HIGH SCHOOL??!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment